Monday 8 December 2008

An Audience with ... Pablo Decoder


TFM and Adan recently caught up with the quickly rising and already prolific tech funk producer, Pablo Decoder. Even after a long day in the studio, in the late hours of the a.m. Pablo was kind enough to answer a few questions and allow a closer look at the inner workings of what clearly seems set to be a future trendsetter in the electronic community at large. Pablo’s also offering one of his mashups gratis – the link is available beneath the interview.


Q - Ok, let’s get the obligatory question out of the way first - what are some of your influences, or what sound has been influencing you recently?

I have always been influenced by alternative and psychedelic music. Artists that influenced me in the past could be Iggy Pop and The Stooges, The Beatles and The Doors. Now I listen to dirty and bangin electro and techno since I started producing electro music about 3years ago. Still liking some Alt music but there aren’t enough good acts out there anymore. Maybe that’s why I am doing THE DEATH KIT - it’s my Alternative take on electro and pop music.


I ‘m very into all the LOT49 artists, the label I’m also signed to…

Top producers: Dylan Rhymes, The Rogue Element, Zodiac Cartel, Alex Metric and Blende (who’s also my THE DEATH KIT partner).


Q - What would you consider your main motivation, or initial inspiration for producing tracks?

My parents used to play me all sorts of records when I was a child…even before I was born, apparently. My dad used to play me tunes he loved and I think that got me into music - and I can’t ever stop thinking of melodies, beats or lyrics. They were musicians and had bands when they were younger. They were also in the music biz when I was born and I used to make some cash working for my dad as a sound engineer since the age of 12 as he taught me a bit on how to use a mixer, compressors, etc…

I was listening to Kraftwerk, The Beatles and The Cure when I was 5...then discovered grunge and indie music…and at the age of 16 started liking house and all sorts of electro.


Q - Would you describe for us the recording / production setup you're currently using?

I use Logic 8 and a bunch of plugins…loving the ROB PAPEN Predator soft synth and Kontakt 3.


Q - Recent favourite or most used piece of hardware/software?

Waves Gold Bundle plugins.


Q - Any personal favourite or standout original or remix track you've worked on to date?

I have just done an awesome mix of a classic tune called 'R U SLEEPING ' by INDO...it’s getting released again in FEBRUARY on AZULI RECORDS. It'll be available on vinyl and digitally. You can preview it on my MySpace: WWW.MYSPACE.COM/PABLODECODER


Also a mix I’ve done as THE DEATH KIT of latest THE WHIP single called 'FIRE'. Hopefully be out on SOUTHERN FRIED soon.


Q - If you could collaborate on a project with any one producer, who would it be?

It would def be either DAFT PUNK or DEADMAU5.


Q - Can you give us the lowdown on upcoming releases, remixes, any dj'ing schedule?

I am releasing a few singles and 2 EPs soon. They’ll all be available on BEATPORT.com. These are the dates and labels:

- CYANIDE by DIRTY FUNKER (PABLO DECODER remix) SPIRIT REC, OUT NOW on BEATPORT.com!!!

- OUT OF CONTROL by Tim Healey (PABLO DECODER remix) BIG AND DIRTY REC (DEC 08)

-I AM SWEET by DYLAN RHYMES vs PABLO DECODER - LOT49 (JAN 09)

-NO HEADPHONES by CIRCUIT FREQ (PABLO DECODER REMIX) NEW CIRCUIT FREQ RECORDS (JAN 09)

-BLOW by PABLO DECODER - SPIRIT REC (JAN 09)

-NOWHERE by MIKE MUVEMENT (PABLO DECODER REMIX) BACKZIDE REC (FEB 09)

-ZURICH BOYS EP by PABLO DECODER - LOT49 (FEB 09)

-R U SLEEPING by INDO (PABLO DECODER remix) AZULI RECORDS

-LOSER EP by THE DEATH KIT + PABLO DECODER remix of LOSER- BIG AND DIRTY REC (FEB 09)

-KEMPTOWN by DYLAN RHYMES Vs PABLO DECODER - LOT49 (FEB 09)

-HOTEL EXISTENCE by THE DEATH KIT - LOT49 (MARCH 09)

-D COUNT UP by PABLO DECODER Vs BREAKDOWN - PBR REC (MARCH 09)

And a few more remixes and singles...And currently working on a THE DEATH KIT album and working on THE DEATH KIT future live performances with a drummer and a great synth player/producer from MELBOURNE named GLOBAL WARNING.


Q - Favourite adult beverage?

Any British ale, preferably HARVEYS (Lewes' finest).


Q - It's five a.m. and you're en route to the afterhours...what song is playing in your head or through the speakers?

Def my MASH UP!! Bangin record I’ll be playing a lot and hopefully loads of other djs will too. Also could be any BASSEMENT JAXX or Chemical Brothers record.


DISCOTECH by PABLO DECODER mash up: http://www.sendspace.com/file/d9larz

No comments: